FBC BENICIA est. 1942
how can you summarize 80 years of ministry in the life of a church?
Our church story is not about a building or a particular piece of property, although these have played a big part. The church is the people of God, called out from the world to worship Him and to make disciples. We look back
and celebrate the decades of ministry behind us, representing many who followed God’s calling and opened our church doors to share Christ’s love with our community.
In 1942 a small group of Christian believers met in a trailer court and organized the First Baptist Church of Benicia. On October 22, 1942, FBC held their first service in the Eagles Hall until property was purchased on East Second St. A tent was erected on the property where meetings were held as the building was built with the assistance of many volunteers. The total cost of the building was approximately $20,000 when completed in 1947.
First Baptist Church of Benicia continued to thrive and grow over the decades. Pastor Marshall Luckey came in 1971 and helped lead the church faithfully, including overseeing the transition to the new location. In 1977, the congregation voted to sell their current property and purchase land on Southampton Road, a rapidly growing area in need of a neighborhood church. Pastor David Clark then served from 1979-1991, and was followed by Pastor Scott Henning who served until December of 2015. Pastor Scott's fingerprints are all over FBC, including our ministry to Benicia Middle School and the Red Awning Cafe.
Pastor Matt Skrabec is now serving as Lead Pastor after being called in early 2017. We’re excited about what the future holds for FBC as God continues to move in and through us. Our rich legacy of gospel ministry will continue into the future as we seek to see lives transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the glory of God and good of our world.